Monday, January 7, 2008

Gifts for people

I know Christmas isn't for another 5 months.. but considering the fact that I am going to be out of town for 2 of those 5 months I figured I had better sit down and decide if I wanted to make gifts or buy them. When that decision is made should I do gifts for the family as one or each individual. This is always a problem and I have tried to convince my family that the adults need to just draw names and then we could still get gifts for the triplets.. that didn't fly so well... It's kind of frustrating when everyone else is buying gifts with 2 incomes and well it's just me trying to do the same. Last year people got mixes in jars (cookies and hot chocolate).. Not sure how well those were recieved .. I got a bunch of other things too but I was trying those (the jars) out to see if it was a possability.
Any way on to the point of this post.. Is anyone else working on gifts? What kind of things are you working on? Any ideas for 13-14 year old triplet girls? What about a couple rather decisive sister inlaws? Anything to help me out rather than having to do the last minute I don't have anything and end up buying a bath set or something like that again this year.

Comments:

Sunday, August 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts
Ugh, I know what you mean about being a single income!! What a joke last year was - it was the 1st year with my parents in Florida and my brother was in Korea. I wasn't even invited to my sister's for Christmas. I saw her family at my granma's on Christmas and gave the presents - something for my BIL, stuff for each of the 3 kids, and a homemade month-by-month scrapbook calendar for my sister. I got a whole $25 giftcard to Kohl's. Talk about a bite in the butt! This year, I am making the entire family an I Spy quilt. Just one large quilt that they can all enjoy and use to spend quality time with. I may make something else for my sister, but it will depend on time and whether I feel like I want to. Anyway, I just wanted to say, I know how you feel! It's tough!

Sunday, August 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
I know what you mean. Christmas and one income is really rough. I too am thinking about Christmas presents and I've decided that this is the year of the purse. I'll make the Lazy Girl patterns that I've already done because I'm comfortable with them. For the triplets how about those picture boards that hang on the wall. You know the ones that a padded and have fabric on them and then ribbon criss crossed on the diagonal. That way they can each hang up pictures or other things and personalize it. Cindy

Sunday, August 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Christmas can be soooo expensive. I haven't even started on anything for Christmas yet. Not sure if I will make any gifts or just buy them. It seems like so many people don't appreciate how much you put in to some of these handmade gifts. Right after Richard and I were married, I made everyone quilts for Christmas. I gave away 13 quilts that year and from a few I didn't even get a "thank you" I promised myself that I would never do that again. Kristie

Sunday, August 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
Just a thought but my 12/13 year old daughter is heavily into bags at the moment. I will admit to being a grouch at Christmas. I buy, or make, for my mum,dad and dad in law. The other presents i give away are to close friends. I am an only child and although Malcolm has a brother we never see him or his family. (they live about 10 mins drive away).I refuse to get anything for them as they act like we don't exist.

Monday, August 6, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
it's always a delema, isn't it? We draw names in my family, my husband's family no longer does anything together, which is just fine with me. He's the youngest of 8. We also now draw names in our immediate family. That way you don't have to try to think of so many things. We still get something for everyone, of course, and sometimes I make things, but usually not. It's been a while since my girls were in that age group. I guess it depends on what their interests are. i like the board idea. As for the sisters in law. Phew! Do they have hobbies? Rhoda

No comments: