Sunday, January 6, 2008

My job.. HA HA HA

How do I explain my job? Technically I am an avionics technician. I maintain and repair all the displays, radar, communication, and navigation equipment (an various other things) on F-18 Hornets. Right now I am working in the Quality Assurance (QA) Division.. which means I do more paper work than anything. I spot check and audit things and walk around and hound people for not using there safety gear and things like that. I also inspect other people work before they can close up the aircraft. Not very exciting but its all worth it when you see the jets take off and come back. I have been stationed here at Miramar since 2004 and was granted an extension until my contract is up on April 8th of 2008.
Before I was here I actually did a different job. I was an Electronics Technician on the Ships Radar and communication systems.. (Still here in San Diego but out on the coast) not too much different other than I have 40 some aircraft to maintain now and only had one ship with who knows how many radars and there were several of us that had our specialties. I miss the ship.. I always knew that when I was having a rough time in the "REAL WORLD" that I would be getting underway soon and would be able to get away.. granted it wasn't a pleasure cruise and all I had time for was work but some times that was a relief in itself. No thinking about roommates, or boyfriends, or car troubles.. I got to think about just my radar and the other aspects of my job.
Once again I have to run I have a couple more things to do before I get to head out for the night

Heather

Comments:

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
Cool. My hubby mal is an engineer for one of the freight train companies in the UK. My daughter wants to be an engineer aswell but for a car racing team, she's a complete petrol head. My father was a Royal Marine so I grew up around the big Naval ships and the Harriers that flew off the Aircraft Carriers.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
What an awesome responsability! You must be very good at what you do. You said it was worth it when you saw the jets take off and come back in. I bet it's especially true for coming back in! Did you know that on the quilterscache.com website there is a navy star? I was scrolling through looking for something I had seen in a quilt shop in Indiana when I came across it. I thought it looked pretty cool and would like to make a wall hanging for my son. His birthday is in Feb. and we hope to be visiting him in Hawaii about that time. Rhoda

Thursday, June 14, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Wow, sounds exciting. And here I'm just a housewife. But I do love my life and it is a decision that we made together. My husband was in the Marines, but that was before we were married and straight out of high school, so that has been a while... Krisite

No comments: